Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Single: Sincerely, Seriously.

During a discussion on relationships in our college Sunday school class a month ago, our teacher (and my mentor) Ate Jen asked us to state our relationship status. She said, if I remember right, that there were 5 classifications under the "SINGLE" status:

1) Single, never married;
2) Single, divorced;
3) Single parent;
4) Single, separated; and
5) Single, widowed.

The class was abuzz with their own conjugations to the word single. Some of those that might have come up (coz I don't really remember them that much) were:

-single and loving/enjoying it
-single and waiting
-single again
-single for the mean time
-single but not available
-single pa rin :P

Needless to say, that discussion was definitely one of the liveliest we've had since we started the lesson on purity. That being said, I just wanted to share some thoughts on the subject. Because I distinctly remember that the first thing that came to my mind when we were asked of our relationship status was this:


SINGLE...and FLIRTING.



Ok, now. Let me back up a bit here before you get any cute ideas. No, this isn't coming from the reality of my life; however, I do think this is the reality for most young teens in this generation. (Well, ok, it goes for even the single adults, too.) Also, I'm not saying this because I am an advocate of feminism or sexism or what-have-you, because I am not. And I will try to be as fair and clear and reasonable as possible. Just hear me out. :)

All I'm saying is that many people may not have a full realization of what singleness is all about. Thus, they (or we) may not also have a clear understanding of purity. The way I see it, being single is not simply not having a boyfriend or girlfriend. One can be single--meaning uncommitted to another person--but not unattached--meaning he/she is interacting with people of the opposite sex in a way that makes her vulnerable and dependent to them emotionally.

How exactly does this happen? Well, we can't really help it when a boy likes a girl and a girl likes a boy, right? They start talking and start getting to know each other. Pretty soon, they start teasing each other about the possibility of being together. Then they start spending more time--alone together. When that happens, more often than not, given ample time, AT THE VERY LEAST one of them starts to, as we often mention, "fall in love." The tragedy? The other one doesn't, because for him/her, they're just "special friends." The person is special, yes, but being "special" in the eyes of somebody, last time I checked, doesn't exactly equate, much less pertain, to love.

Save the damsel? :))

Well, this blog has been in my drafts list since yesterday, and I now realize that there is a reason for why I couldn't finish it last night. :) Unexpected, surprising, and strangely timely was the discussion in chapel this morning. Our college chaplain talked about how love protects (I Cor. 13:7), and we are supposed to protect those whom we say we love from temptation, by not being a stumbling block and protecting each others' reputation.

YAHA! :))

The implication: we maintain respect for each other, especially when the "other" is a person of the opposite sex. Being friends isn't a bad thing; being too friendly is another story--and so is being too attached. Again, not all people who claim to be single are actually free from emotional tangles. There has to be limitations and boundaries to acknowledge and respect. NO FLIRTING with FIRE. "If you are not ready for love, don't cause another person to fall in love with you." Clear as crystal!

Yes, love also always trusts and believes the best, but love is not blind or stupid, either. It is actually the most sensible thing in the world! Love is the reason for life--God loves us so He gave us life through His Son, Jesus. Why waste that life living for and in false love? As princes and princesses, children of the Most High, we should aim for excellence, walk with integrity, and live in purity.

If I were to make something like one of those once-popular quizzes in Facebook, I wonder if anyone would take it. Would YOU dare to answer the question:

"HOW SINGLE ARE YOU?"

6 comments:

  1. This is the best blog I've ever read Dea! Napaisip ako sa mga sinabi mo ditp ahh?? Hmm. Got your point here. Before, feeling ko, isa kong Single yet FLirting. Pero ngayon gusto ko ng maging "SINGLE. (period)"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dapat status natin: Single, and worth the wait. Hehe. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yon. Yan. Magandang status natin. :)) Galing galing Cherie! :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehehe. Thanks, Jeans. I'm proud of this entry. Parang eto lang yung may sense kasi hindi pilit. Haha. :)

    I love that, Beb! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. liKE! :D
    lalo na ung
    "If you are not ready for love, don't cause another person to fall in love with you."

    ReplyDelete